The role will involve working alongside the current transactional accounting team as well as the fleet operators and vessel management accountants with a specific responsibility for all aspects of accounts receivable, non-accounts payable cash book payments, bank reconciliations, and other cash management functions within our reporting systems. The role has varied and wide ranging duties, resulting in an ideal base to build solid experience within the company and the wider international shipping industry.
Navigator Gas is the owner and operator of the world’s largest fleet of handy size liquefied gas carriers and provides international and regional seaborne transportation services of liquefied petroleum gas, petrochemical gases and ammonia for energy companies, industrial users and commodity traders.
The fleet consists of 38 gas carriers and part owns an ethylene export terminal being built in the USA.
The size and versatility of the fleet enables the Company to carry a wide range of liquefied gas products across the world and together with our track record of operational excellence, positions them as the partner of choice for many companies requiring seaborne distribution solutions.
History and Financial Growth
The first handy size gas carriers were delivered to Navigator Gas in March 2000 and since then the growth oriented owner has enjoyed a solid financial performance and steady increase in its fleet size. In November 2013 the Company undertook an IPO and listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) with a current market capitalisation of circa US$600 million. In 2017 the Company finished the expansive shipbuilding programme with 16 new vessels being delivered since mid-2014.
The London Team
The Company is principally based near Victoria, in London and is a close knit and friendly team comprising of finance, chartering, vessel operations and technical departments. Working in an open plan environment, it encourages employees to discuss issues within the shipping environment and learn the broader shipping industry to be able to understand the finance function and how it relates to the industry. Staff members would have the opportunity to travel out to visit vessels to gain a better understanding of the business and the assets that we own.
Within finance the successful candidate will have the benefit of being able to broaden their accounting knowledge by discussing accounting procedures with the rest of the team, be they related to studies or to the working environment alongside a number of qualified and part qualified finance staff.
The Accounts Assistant will initially report directly to the Head of Finance and will sit within a team of 16 finance colleagues.
Main responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all non-accounts payable cash postings
- Completing bank reconciliations for multicurrency bank accounts
- Preparation and maintenance of the group daily cash position
- Maintaining aged receivables listing and reconciliation
- Communicating with charterers and brokers regarding outstanding high value receivables
- Responsible for the timely input and payment of the Group bunker (fuel) invoices
- Reconciling bunker supplier accounts
- Some exposure to quarterly internal and external audit
- Other ad-hoc assignments as and when required
- Experience in both accounts payable and receivable
- Attention to detail with a commitment to high quality and accuracy
- Be able to work effectively to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Hard‐working and enthusiastic
- Works well within a close team
- Embraces change, with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to learn quickly, adapt to in-house systems and suggest improvements
- Sitting AAT (or similar) exams or qualified by experience with many years within a transactional accounting team
- Exposure to cash flow management requirements
- SUN systems experience
- Shipping industry experience
Salary and benefits
The Accounts Assistant role will benefit from:
- Base salary market competitive
- Non-contractual bonus scheme, which is dependent upon Company and personal performance criteria as determined by the Employer in its absolute discretion
- Generous study package leading to accountancy qualification
- Benefits package – private health insurance, pension contributions matched up to 10%, income protection and life assurance.
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Season ticket loan
Navigator Gas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship or any other legally protected status.